Friday 24 June 2011

Beautiful 18th century partial caraco/bodice

















After a tip-off from some Canadian colleagues (thanks David & Paul) I purchased this wonderful partial 18th century silk bodice or perhaps a caraco . Apart from its missing sleeve and unfinished existing sleeve it is in immaculate condition, the complex silk brocade still strong and not at all fragile as is often the case with silks of this period. It is beautifully lined with linen; two types. I love the way it has been constructed, a wonderful technique that balanced the need for careful tailoring to utilise every scrap of silk from the narrow loom widths of the time with the needs of fashion to cut for a perfect, close fit.

www.morgaine-le-fay.co.uk


2 comments:

  1. A really lovely and interesting piece. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm in heaven! I have just found your divine blog through Elizabeth Baer's blog and am now your newest follower! I shall make myself a large pot of tea and browse the rest of your fabulous posts before heading off to your web site! Warmest wishes - Glenda

    ReplyDelete